|Dr. Chetan at the launch of his book|
Here's a scary but very real truth:
It is estimated by the UNICEF that about 6.3 million children, all under the age of 15, died in the year 2017, which means that, there was 1 child death happening every 5 seconds !!! Also, the report further goes on to state that most of these deaths, at least about 5.4 million of these children, took place in children who were under 5 years of age, and could easily have been prevented....
What a loss and what a huge amount of shame on us all....
I have always been one of those people who has spoken up for safety, especially the safety of children, be it newborns, babies, toddlers, older children, teens or even the very vulnerable young adults. Not only do I actively share my views on these topics, I also make myself vocal whenever the need arises, and read up on these too.
So it was interesting when I saw a book by Consultant Pediatric Intensivist Dr. Chetan Ginigeri, titled Playful: The Ultimate Guide to Child Safety.
|The book cover|
Then why this book?
For someone who has read many books on child safety, I feel reading this book can give you quite an insight, and here's why:
- It's really small and handy
- The simple and colourful illustrations will appeal to even those who do not like to read
- It touches on key topics, whether it is safety for kids in the house or outside
- The book will relate to any caregiver - parent, grandparents, uncles, aunts, older siblings
- Older children and even those young ones who have started reading can easily read and understand the book themselves. In my case, my 5 year old read the book herself and understood all the important information!
- You can navigate through the book as you please, instead of having to read it from start to finish.
- Since it's portable, you can also read through it on the go
Some of the key topics mentioned in the book:
- water safety
- kitchen safety
- feeding safety
- safety within the house and outside
- school transportation safety
- toy or playtime safety
- seasonal safety
- internet safety
- safe touch
These are just some of the key topics that are there in the book, and it has a vast list of important safety topics that it talks about.
Yet another thing that I really enjoyed about this book is that it has small yet real and meaningful quotes by noted medical professionals as well as regular parents or caregivers that any parent or caregiver can relate to.
A joint effort by a dedicated group of children's ICU doctors
While the main name behind this book is Dr. Chetan Ginigeri, it is a joint initiative by many other children's doctor who mainly handle care in the ICU and have been witness to many cases of child accidents that they know could easily have been avoided.
About the author
Dr. Chetan Ginigeri is the head of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in Aster CMI Hospital in Bangalore.
I enjoyed reading the book, and trust me, even though not many parents are avid readers, and honestly, reading will be the last thing you would want to do when you already have your hands full as a parent or caregiver, the beauty of this book is that it is light to carry, and can be easily read while breastfeeding, while waiting at the doctor's office, while you are pregnant, while waiting to pick up your child from school, on your way to work, or even together with your child!
As a parent to two lovely daughters myself, I would say - READ IT :)
- Debolina Raja