Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Legacy of The Master - Gabriel Garcia Marquez


I first happened to chance upon a book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez almost 10 years back. Till then I had never heard the name...

And the name was what fascinated me the instant I heard it. There was a certain ring to the name that lent it an exotic feeling, like it came from a different part of the world altogether, a world with different customs and different folk tales and smells and sights that were part of a completely different and enchanted place. How I wanted to see what this man would write about and where his words would take me....

The first and till now, only, book I read of his was 'Chronicles of A Death Foretold' and its been 10 years I read it...But I still remain one of its biggest fans till date.

Now, after a whole decade, it is only right that I get back to do what I should have done long back. To get back that same world for me once again - that land of the mystic and the fabled beings and stories that are real yet so captivating and 'fairy-tale' like sometimes. So now I am reading 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' and next in line is 'Love In The Time of Cholera.'

I have already set my sights on collecting each and every title by this master story-teller. And the best part about his works are that though most of them are fiction, each of his stories are so infused with real life and happenings that the borderline between real and fiction almost ceases to exist.

So here is a list of his works that you should surely read in this lifetime:

No One Writes To The Colonel
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Leaf Storm and Other Stories
The Autumn of The Patriarch
Innocent Erendira and Other Stories
In Evil Hour
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Collected Stories
The Story of A Shipwrecked Sailor
Clandestine in Chile: The Adventures of Miguel Littin
Love In The Time of Cholera
Collected Novellas
The General in His Labyrinth
Strange Pilgrims
Of Love And Other Demons
News Of A Kidnapping
Living To Tell The Tale
Memories Of My Melancholy Whores
The Solitude of Latin America
The Fragrance of Guava
A Country For Children
Living To Tell The Tale