Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

An Unputdownable Book In My Mail


A few days back I got this amazing gift in my mailbox - the book Olga, A Daughter's Tale, sent to me by the author Marie Therese Browne. The book has already been published a few years back and is available on Amazon, Kindle and other channels, but for book lovers like me here in India, this was a godsend, as I had not got any access to reviews for this book before, and was pleasantly surprised when I first received a mail from Marie asking if I would read and talk about her book here, especially for the Indian audience.

When she described the book to me, it sounded perfect and just the kind of books I love - stories that are drawn from families, that have traveled over different generations and that present a picture of the culture and life of a set of people. When Marie described her book to me, I knew immediately that this was one book I really wanted in my collection.

So a few days later the book arrived in my mail, and I will admit, it has simply been un-putdownable !!! With B&W photographs to real hand-made sketches from people who have been a part of the family a few generations ago, the book has its own character that is sure to mesmerise anyone who reads it.

I am just about to finish it and have also got the chance to have a chat with the author Marie herself, a detail of which I will share here soon to give readers an idea to her vision and why she wrote the book. As I am going to finish reading the book soon, I will review it here and you can decide for yourself whether you want to read it or not, though I will highly recommend the book to you all.

- Debolina Raja Gupta