Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 25, 2011

Colin Jackson The Autobiography by Colin Jackson: First Page Mondays


Another Monday and today, I am going to share with you the first page from the book 'The Autobiography' by one of the greatest British athletes of all time - Colin Jackson. Here is the first page of the book:

'I was, my family say, born running. At least, I was walking at nine months, which is ridiculously early, running at 12 months, running strongly three months later. They remember me constantly running, climbing onto the highest and most dangerous places and jumping off. They spent their lives trying to keep me from serious injury. My sister Suzanne once put me in hospital trying to protect me: she was always shutting doors to keep me in, and this time I was too fast for her; I was halfway through the door, and she slammed it on to my fingers. As far back as I can remember, all I ever wanted to do was run fast. I loved it. Even at the end of my professional athletics career, as a grand old man of my track, when I hit it right, I still fell the pure elation. It is like flying, like nothing else on earth – like freedom.


I was born on 18 February 1967, at home, in 200 Mackintosh Place, Roath Park, an area of Cardiff whose tall, white, terraced houses are part of student-land now, but back then were first homes for working families like ours. My mother, Angela, used to tease me, saying it was lucky I was born at home, because that way she knew for certain I was hers. Otherwise, because I was such a bundle of mischief, she would have sworn they’d swapped me in the hospital for somebody else’s baby. She was just teasing – so she says.
My father, Oswald – known by everybody as Ossie – was working as a bus driver when I was born……'

- Debolina Raja Gupta