Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sneaky-Peeky Sunday: Sanctuary, Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie


At the moment I am reading the story 'Sanctuary' in Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie. So here's the page I am on right now:

'...two later a rather shabby old suitcase was passed across to her, and carrying this she made her way to the platform.
The journey home was uneventful. Bunch rose as the train approached Chipping Cleghorn and picked up the old suitcase. She had just left her carriage when a man, sprinting along the platform, suddenly seized the suitcase from her hand and rushed off with it.
"Stop!" Bunch yelled. "Stop him, stop him. He's taken my suitcase."
The ticket collector, who, at this rural station, was a man of somewhat slow processes, had just begun to say , "Now, look here, you can't do that - " when a smart blow in the chest pushed him aside, and the man with the suitcase rushed out from the station. He made his way towards a waiting car. Tossing the suitcase in, he was about to climb after it, but before he could move a hand fell on his shoulder, and the voice of Police Constable Abel said, "Now then, what's all this?"
Bunch arrived, panting, from the station. "He snatched my suitcase. I just got out of the train with it."
"Nonsense," said the man. "I dont know what this lady means. It's my suitcase. I just got out of the train with it."
He looked at Bunch with a bovine and impartial stare. Nobody would have guessed that Police Constable Abel and Mrs Harmon spent long half-hours in Police Constable Abel's off-time discussing the respective merits of manure and bone meal for rose bushes.
"You say, madam, that this is your suitcase?" said Police Constable Abel.
"Yes," said Bunch. "Definitely."
"And you sir?"
"I say this suitcase is mine."
The man was tall, dark and well dressed, with a .......

Well....that's it....that's as much as I am going to reveal to you here ;)

- Debolina Raja Gupta