Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sneaky-Peeky Sunday: The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson



As part of Sneaky-Peeky Sunday, an initiative by The Book Worm, here's a peek at the page I am now, in the book The Gargoyle by author Andrew Davidson:

'Nan replied that beyond policy issues, Phoenix Hall had a host of professionals, all ready to offer their expertise. Marianne Engel reiterated that she was willing to provide whatever I needed. "If Mizumoto san is too busy, we'll hire someone else. But we'd prefer to have her, because we like her."
She wheeled around to look directly at me, and finally asked what I wanted. "Do you want to go to this Phoenix place?"
"No."
"Do you want to come to my house?"
"Yes."
Marianne Engel turned her attention back to Dr. Edwards. "There. Discussion finished."
It might have been prudent to claim that I needed time to think. After all, I had just chosen Marianne Engel over the doctor who'd been expertly guiding my recovery for months. My hasty answer was, to say the least, illogical.
If there was one thing I could be certain about, however, it was that everyone in the room truly had my best intentions at heart. I hadn't known that Marianne Engel and Nan had been arguing about my living arrangement for weeks; since I saw both of them almost daily; this could only have occurred if they were working together to hide it in order to keep my stress level as low as possible.
"There's still plenty of time to make an informed decision," Nan said, indicating that this discussion was anything but finished. It was not lost on anyone how heavily she stressed the word informed.

***********************

There were practical concerns that I could not ignore in regard to living with Marianne Engel. One was that, although she said she had plenty of money, she probably couldn't afford me.
Housing a burn patient is incredibly expensive. Beyond my treatment costs - Sayuri's fees, medical supplies, exercise equipment - there would be regular living expenses. Food. Clothes. Entertainment.'

(* The book has been provided as a review copy by the author Andrew Davidson himself. It has not been purchased)

- Debolina Raja Gupta