Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sneaky-Peeky Sundays: Dork: The Incredible Adventures of Robert 'Einstein' Varghese by author Sidin Vadukut


As part of the Sneaky-Peeky Sunday series on The Book Worm, here is the page from the book 'Dork: The Incredible Adventures of Robert 'Einstein' Varghese' by author Sidin Vadukut that I am currently reading. Please note this is a complimentary read and review book sent by Crossword as part of their Vodafone Crossword Book Award 2010. This is not a purchased copy.

'....suggested that Dufresne Partners was my 'safety application' and I had no intention of joining a 'second-grade consulting firm of questionable pedigree.'

Diary, I was deeply mistaken. Little did I know that Dufresne Partners, despite the lower revenues, lower profile and near global bankruptcy in 2001, stood shoulders and head above the others when you considered the job in a holistic fashion. Especially with that exciting and sensible 'performance and global marketplace dependent variable bonus payout scheme' that was introduced earlier this year.

My impression of firms was corrupted by the likes of Rahul Gupta. By the way, that pig made it into Goldman Sachs. His work-life balance is so screwed. Does he even know how many more hours bankers have to put in compared to consultants? In a way I feel sorry for him, my arch-nemesis. I look forward to hearing from him soon with a request to refer him for a vacancy at Dufresne. I will first promise to help him. Assure him that I hold no grudge.

And then I will ignore him and dash his hopes. Awesome.

Now, onward I go with my tale of triumphant employment.

My first interview for the day was with JP Morgan.

I had sat up all night watching CNBC in the common room, trying to keep myself up to date with the bleeding edge of news and information from the global financial markets. Unfortunately I fell asleep on the wooden bench in front of the TV and woke up only at nine after Shashank from the placement office rolled me off the bench on to the floor and kicked me in the underbelly.

Apparently JPM had started interviews at 8 a.m. as scheduled and if I didn't get my first interview started in ten minutes they would skip me entirely for the second round. I tried to calm Shashank down by telling him that this was part pf my optional interview preparation programme whereby I reduce my metabolism to impossible lows just before peak performance. He walked away shaking his head in disbelief at my nerves of solid steel.

I had approximately eight minutes to be interview ready. Which meant I had to prioritize: Brush teeth? bathe? shave? loo?'

Check out more about the book and get your copy directly through Crossword by clicking here

And if you want to order your copy through Amazon, click here:



- Debolina Raja Gupta