Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, October 3, 2011

First Page Mondays: Rising Sun by author Michael Crighton


As part of the First Page Mondays on The Book Worm, here's the firs page of the book 'Rising Sun' by Michael Crighton..

'Actually, I was sitting on my bed in my apartment in Culver City, watching the Lakers game with the sound turned off, while I tried to study vocabulary for my introductory Japanese class.

It was a quiet evening; I had gotten my daughter to sleep about eight. Now I had the cassette player on the bed, and the cheerful woman's voice was saying things like, "Hello, I am a police officer. Can I be of assistance?" and "Please show me the menu." After each sentence, she paused for me to repeat it back, in Japanese. I stumbled along as best as I could. Then she would say, "The vegetable store is closed. Where is the post office?" Things like that. Sometimes it was hard to concentrate, but I was trying. "Mr. Hayashi has two children."

I tried to answer. "Hayashi-san wa kodomo ga fur....futur...." I swore. But by then the woman was talking again.

"This drink is not very good at all."

I had my textbook open on the bed, alongside a Mr. Potato Head I'd put back together for my daughter. Next to that, a photo album, and the pictures from her second birthday party. It was four months after Michelle's party, but I still hadn't put the pictures in the album. You have to try and keep up with that stuff.

"There will be a meeting at two o'clock."

The pictures on my bed didn't reflect reality any more. Four months later Michelle looked completely different. She was taller, she'd outgrown the expensive party dress my.......'

For those of you who wish to grab a copy, click here:




- Debolina Raja Gupta