Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sneaky-Peeky Sundays: Delayed Monsoon by Chitralekha Paul


As part of the Sneaky-Peeky Sundays here at The Book Worm, here's the page from the book 'Delayed Monsoon' by Chitralekha Paul that I am reading right now.

* This is a complimentary review copy sent by the author and BookReaders' Lounge, and is NOT A PAID COPY.


'....were still fresh and Subba dominated my conversation. Riaz could make out how deeply hurt I was and wanted to divert my attention. But failing to distract me, he suddenly came up with a strange question. "Do you ever fantasize having a close relationship with someone other than your husband?"

What!!! How dare he ask me such questions? With my conservative upbringing and the traditional mind-set, I found this query to be weird. I was thinking of a befitting reply, when another message came from him.

"I am sure you are now angry with me. My sincere apology to you lady for offending you, but at I last I got success."

Success?? What success was he talking about? I was perplexed.

"So...? What's going on in your mind at this moment? I am sure, right now Subba is out of your mind, as you must be rummaging through your brain to find appropriate words to put me to my place. And that was exactly what I wanted to do, to make you forget Subba," he wrote again. Phew! What a way to sidetrack me! But, nonetheless, it was effective.

Soon Riaz became a friend of mine. He knew that most of the time I kept brooding, unhappy as I was, with my life. He would always ask me to look beyond problems and count the blessings, to learn to be happy on my own, rather than depending on someone else. He lent his ears, when I needed someone to listen to me, but at the same time talked tough, if he felt it was required. I still remember how upset i was once, after a bitter argument with Nikhil and on an impulse, I sent a message when I saw Riaz online.

"I feel like jumping from my balcony."

"Wow! A good idea indeed! I think you must try it," he sent a reply along with a clapping emoticon.

"I am not joking," I typed.

"Neither am I. After all what more will happen if you jump? It's just that every bone of your body would break, in case you survive the fall," he replied.'



- Debolina Raja Gupta