Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, November 14, 2011

First Page Mondays: My Dearest Rose by Jessie McClain


As part of the First Page Mondays here at The Book Worm, here's the first page of the book I am reading right now. 'My Dearest Rose' by Jessie McClain.

* This is a complimentary review copy sent by the author and BookPleasures and not a purchased copy.


'My day starts just like usual. My mother, Cassie, staring at me as I wake up screaming and drenched in a cold sweat. I glance at the clock on my nightstand. Too early for me, six fifty-four. Atleast yesterday the screaming didn't come until nine. My mother continues to stare with a look of pity on her face. I hate that look.

"Iris, you need to move on. It's been four years and you still scream almost every night. I'm going to send you to therapy." The look on her face went from pity to annoyance. Why does she even pretend to care?

"Mom, just stop. First off, you don't have to come in here every time I have a bad dream, and secondly, you can't send me anywhere. I'm an adult, remember?" Now I'm starting to get irritated.

"Are you going to look for a job today?" she continues.

"No mom, I have a job. I sing. I know you don't like it, but I do. It's the only thing I enjoy. Also, I work at the shop. Another thing you don't like, but I enjoy that too." The irritation is growing.

"Well, I really wouldn't consider that a job," she says as she walks out of my room. I roll over on my stomach and bury my face in the pillow breathing in the scent. Lavender.

I roll back over onto my back, and look around my room. It's not the best looking room, but suitable for me. Cozy even. I scan the room eyeing my terra cotta coloured walls and posters, all the way up to my dream catchers in every corner, including the one over my bed. From my experience, they don't seem to work. I got them with my discount at the shop, Sun Spirit. Finally I rest on one solitary picture underneath my window on a stand. A picture that seems it was taken a lifetime.....'


- Debolina Raja Gupta