Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

First Page Mondays: Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton


As part of the First Page Mondays here at The Book Worm, here's the first page from the book 'Afterwards' by Rosamund Lupton.

I couldn’t move, not even a little finger or a flicker of an eye. I couldn’t open my mouth to scream.

I struggled, as hard as I could, to move the huge heavy hulk that my body had become but I was trapped under the hull of a vast ship wrecked on the ocean floor and moving was impossible.

My eyelids were welded shut. My eardrums broken. My vocal cords snapped off.

Pitch dark and silent and so heavy in there; a mile of black water above me.

Only one thing for it, I said to myself, thinking of you, and I slipped out of the wrecked ship of my body into the black ocean.

I swam upwards towards the daylight with all my strength.

Not a mile deep after all.

Because I was suddenly in a white room, brightly gleaming, smelling pungently of antiseptic. I heard voices and my name.


- Debolina Raja Gupta