Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sneaky-Peeky Sundays: The Camerons by Robert Crichton


Sarah colored slightly but he didn’t notice.

“And for asking me to be your wife.”

“Oh, that. Yes, that was something.”

Please go now, her eyes said, but he didn’t seem to read them. He wanted to leave with something more than that, as if she had delivered a loaf of bread and not her body and heart.

“When can I speak to your father?”

“Father? You speak to Mother here.”

“Oh, I didn’t know. Soon.”

“How soon?”

“Soon.”

He suddenly reached out and seized her, wrapping his arm around both of hers, and kissed her on the lips until she felt they were burning.

“We’ve known each other long enough,” he said, and laughed, and then managed this time to get over the threshold with his sticks, unhampered now by the bottle of whisky, and get down on the Terrace and head up it for his home, at the end where all the Bones lived. He didn’t turn around, but he waved his stick just once and she knew.

“How long was he here?” her mother said.

Sarah had no idea at all. She tried to find the sun in the window to put herself back in time.

“Who?” she finally said.

“The man.”

“My husband?” She felt her mother grip her arm.

“What’s the matter with you?”

“Why, what is the matter with me?”

“’My husband?’” she mimicked.

“I said that?” Her mother nodded. “I must have been dreaming.” Her mother looked at her carefully.

“Aye, you must have been dreaming, because you remember this. We’re not going to bring any hippety-hincher into this family. The man who comes in it for you will be a man who can work and put some siller in the kist.”

“Aye, Momma.”

They found out about the first-footer later, of course,…..’


- Debolina Raja Gupta