Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Defending A King: His Life & Legacy by Dr. Karen Moriarty



A few days back I got an email from one of the book sites where I am a reviewer, asking me if I would like to read and review a book on the most talented musician, performer and entertainer of our times, and probably of all time - the King himself, Michael Jackson.

Would I say no to that?

Of course I wanted to read about MJ, the face I have watched so many times on the screen, and that look of vulnerability and helplessness that I still can't and probably never will, forget for the rest of my life. I have read so much online about MJ and his various 'antics', but I wanted to know a more intimate side of the man who became the guinea-pig of all who wanted their fifteen minutes and more of fame. I wanted to know the MJ away from the picture that was painted by papparazzi and media, I wanted to know about MJ the man and MJ the father, and so I wrote the the author that I would of course love to read and review the book.

The book arrived a couple of days ago, sent to my very graciously by the author herself, and I am already reading it in between all the work, squeezing out time as and when I get, apart from my reading time. And I must say I am loving every moment of what I am reading, though the irony is that the more I read, the more I can understand how troubled and harassed MJ really was, throughout his life.

The book in question is Defending A King - His Life & Legacy by Dr. Karen Moriarty.

Right now I won't be sharing much on the book, but there are a few lines that keep repeating in the book that I do want to jot down here.

'To live is to be musical, starting with the blood dancing in your veins. Everything living has a rythm.' - Michael Jackson


'I am glad to be tired. Crawling..into bed, I remember something that I always wonder at. They say that some of the stars that we see overhead aren't really there. Their light takes millions of years to reach us, and all we are doing is looking into the past, to a bygone moment when those stars could shine.
"So what does a star do after it quits shining?" I ask myself. "Maybe it dies." "Oh no," a voice in my head says. "A star can never die. It just turns into a smile and melts back into the cosmic music, the dance of life." I like that thought, the last one I have before my eyes close. With a smile, I melt back into the music itself.' - Michael Jackson


"When I had left home days earlier, I perceived Michael Jackson as a human Bambi - fragile, vulnerable, deserted, in need of protection, alone - in a perilous environment. By the time I returned, I perceived Michael as Bambi's little brother." - Author


Bizarre behaviour is normal in bizarre circumstances.


"They're so quick to call you strange and weird, but it's almost as if you're forced to be different - because it's not normal life." - Michael Jackson


In the end, the line that I use as a sign off in all my other blogs, inspired by Michael Jackson: Heal the world we live in, Save it for our children... Love you MJ.

- Debolina Raja Gupta

2 comments:

  1. considering the tarnishing his image went through, I can only imagine how much stress my fav entertainer should've gone through in his life.
    All hail the king of pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...you absolutely GOT to read this...can't even imagine what all our fav icon has had to go thru!!!! Its a 485 page book and I have finished 201 pages since yesterday, amidst a lot of breaks!! So u can only imagine how interesting it is...an eye-opener, a heart-warming and heart-wrenching read that will make you want to go out and hug Michael right away...I wish the world could have been a bit more humane towards him..

      Delete