Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, January 23, 2012

First Page Mondays: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys


As part of the First Page Mondays at The Book Worm, here's the first page of the book 'Between Shades of Gray' by Ruta Sepetys.

'THEY TOOK ME IN MY NIGHTGOWN.

Thinking back, the signs were there - family photos burned in the fireplace, Mother sewing her best silver and jewelry into the lining of her coat late at night, and Papa not returning from work. My younger brother, Jonas, was asking questions. I asked questions, too, but perhaps I refused to acknowledge the signs. Only later did I realize that Mother and Father intended we escape. We did not escape.

We were taken.

June 14, 1941. I had changed into my nightgown and settled in at my desk to write my cousin Joana a letter. I opened a new ivory writing tablet and a case of pens and pencils, a gift from my aunt for my fifteenth birthday.

The evening breeze floated through the open window over my desk, waltzing the curtain from side to side. I could.....'

- Debolina Raja Gupta

No comments:

Post a Comment