Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Page Mondays: Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson

Yes, I know today isn't Monday, as it should have been since Im doing the First Page Mondays post, but of late I have been caught in a lot of work, so I really do apologise for the delay. Hope to get back on track soon :-)


So now, as part of the First Page Mondays here at The Book Worm, here's the first page from the autobiography 'Losing My Virginity' by Richard Branson. One of the best ever autobiography and one of the most interesting books I have ever read till date. So if you haven't read this one yet, go grab a copy right now!!!

"Oh. Screw it. Let's do it."

Tuesday, 7 January 1997, Morocco


05:30am.
I woke before Joan and sat up in bed. From across Marrakech I heard the wavering cry of the muezzins calling people to prayer over the loudspeakers. I still hadn't written to Holly and Sam, so I tore a page out of my notebook and wrote them a letter in case I didn't return.

Dear Holly and Sam,
Life can seem rather unreal at times. Alive and well and loving one day. No longer there the next.
As you both know I always had an urge to live life to its full. That meant I was lucky enough to live the life of many people during my 46 years. I loved every minute of it and I especially loved every second of my time with both of you and Mum.
I know that many people think us foolish for embarking on this latest adventure. I was convinced they were wrong. I felt that everything we had learned from our Atlantic and Pacific adventures would mean that we'd have a safe flight. I thought that the risks were acceptable. Obviously I've been proved wrong.
However, I regret nothing my life except not being with Joan to finally help you grow up. By the age of 12 and 15 your characters have already developed. We're both so proud of you. Joan and I couldn't have had two more delightful kids. You are both kind, considerate, full of life (even witty!_. What more could we both want.
Be strong. I know it won't be easy. But we've had a wonderful life together and you'll never forget all the good times we've had.
Live life to its full yourselves. Enjoy every minute of it. Love and look after Mum as if she's both of us.
I love you,
Dad.......'

- Debolina Raja Gupta

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. How do you compare this with the ubiquitous bio on Steve Jobs? Have you read that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Arun, yes I have read Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. In fact I'm towards the latter ending now. Been reading it parallel with other books, quite a huge one and must say Im enjoying every page of it. But I am sure you'll love the Richard Branson autobio too. Don't go for comparisons, as the two are written in a very different style. You're gonna love it is all I can say.And let me know your views if and when you do read it .. till then, happy reading..What are you reading now btw?

      Delete
  2. oh k. I am not entirely a fan of steve jobs so I was putting out. I like Branson's style and his involvement in extra curricular activities?? (Like losing a bet and piloting air-asia owner Tony Fernandes for it) ;-)

    I love sci-fi, fantasy, fiction, dystopia, thrillers, horrers, and some heartfelt ones like Thousand suns and 'A painted house' by Grisham - reread it 10 times. Currently reading the 'Hunger games' trilogy.

    Also write short stories. Now attempting in a novella(sci fi - around 13 chapters) and a social commentary on what should be in the agenda if I should vote for a party in gen elections in 2014. I would like to write for mags, but thats a tougher dream considering my IT job. But I'll publish it in my blog - diamondthread.blogspot.com

    By the way, I follow you on twitter - my handle is arzvi. Hope to have good conversations over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops....twitter....I still can't get a hang of it...thanks for following me though..am i even active there still?!!!

    interesting choices..n i wish u all the very best in all your projects :-)

    ReplyDelete