Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: The Pineville Heist by Lee Chambers



Title: The Pineville Heist
Author: Lee Chambers
Publisher: MISFP Publishing
ISBN: 978-0-9864943-1-4 (paperback)
Pages: 194
ISBN: 978-0-9864943-2-1 (eBook)
Category: Young Adult (YA)
Genre: Thriller / Mystery

* This is a complimentary ARC (Advanced Reader Copy)sent by the author and NOT a paid copy. All views expressed here are my own, and not initiated by the author or publishers.



Here's a look at the blurb:

Aaron whipped through the long grass as fast as his legs would carry him. His eyes were filled with angst and adrenaline. He was still in shock. Not every day you see a dead man. Not every day you see that much money either - he glanced down at the backpack in his arms. Must - keep - running.


When author Lee Chambers got in touch with me asking if I would like to read and review his YA book 'The Pineville Heist', I was not really sure if I would be interested or not. The genre was thriller/mystery though, one that I am quite interested in, so I asked him to send me a copy and told him I would read it. And once I finished reading the same, I am glad I asked for the copy. And now, its even more important you grab a copy and read the book, as the same is going to come out as a movie soon. To get your free e-copy, click here

Seventeen-year-old Aaron Stevens never knew his life would turn into a nightmare, one complete with the (un)usual smattering of missing bodies, robbery, cops with secrets, twists and turns, a pretty teacher who may or may not be accomplice to the crime, robbery, a backpack filled with stolen cash, and lots of twists and turns that are sure to take Aaron on one of the most thrilling and unimaginable ride of his life.

Aaron is the son of the town magnate Derek, and despite the wealth and luxuries, he isn't a child who can be termed as being 'happy' in a loving family; if anything, his relationship with his father is at best volatile. Despite being the son of one of the most powerful men in town, Aaron is a sensible young kid, who, when faced with a challenging situation that is huge for his seventeen years, decides to do the right thing, even though it means getting involved in a dangerous scenario. Five million dollars are stolen from the Pineville Bank and Aaron is all set to recover the money and return it to its rightful owners - the town and his father. Aaron will first need to retrieve the money, but there are armed robbers on the lookout for those who will block their getaway, and this will be the one day of his life that Aaron will never forget.

Aaron stumbles across a backpack from PINEVILLE SAVINGS AND LOAN which is full of stolen money and overhears the Sheriff and an Officer discussing about how someone got away with 4-5 million dollars. Aaron decides to help retrieve and return the money with the help of his friends Mike and Steve, but very soon, they are all on the run, with a gunman who is out there to hunt and kill them. The school becomes the scene of killings and Aaron manages to escape the school, only to get engaged in a battle between him and one of the robbers. The usually quiet and soft-spoken Aaron is now faced with the situation of kill or get killed.

What happens next and in-between is something the reader will have to find out on their own. I will not come out with more of the story as this is a thriller and talking more about the same will give away important parts that may break the suspense.

What I liked and didn't like:

What I liked about the book is that it is extremely fast-paced and you can finish it off in one sitting. Though the genre is in the thriller category, I did not find it too thrilling for me, but that's maybe I can't qualify as a YA myself. The story nevertheless is full of twists and turns that will keep you on the edge, especially the one that comes towards the end of the story and will surely make you say 'I-did-not-see-that-coming.' I am not a fan of too much blood, so there were a few parts where I felt a bit uncomfortable, but that does not mean I did not enjoy the read. Interspersed with fun bits that will make you identify with the characters and situations in some parts, this book is one that will surely take you on a visual treat and make you want to watch the movie that is slated to go on floors this 2012.

Actor Booboo Stewart from The Twilight Saga and Breaking Dawn has been officially signed on for the movie that is going on floors this 2012.

Click here to watch a trailer of the upcoming movie.

And to know more about the author Lee Chambers, click here


I will give this book three hearts: Liked it.

- Debolina Raja Gupta