Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sneaky Peeky Sunday: Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton


As part of the Sneaky Peeky Sunday here at The Book Worm, here's a page from the book Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. I have just finished reading it, but since I am just about to start on the new book, I'll share a page of this book with you guys.

'...angel. Not with a frilly dress and silver wings like the one at the top of the Christmas tree, but a muscular Old Testament one, a Raphael or Michael - a bold, strong angel as the good in her takes a shape and finds a voice.

Because I cannot leave this world thinking there is nothing redemptive in a teenage girl. I do not want to have hatred inside me when I die.

We arrived home. Mum went to bed, exhausted, and I was the only one awake. It was almost the witching hour, the house silent, everyone asleep. The last time I'd been up on my own like this was when Adam was a young baby.

I went to Jenny's bedroom. I'd left her with Ivo in the garden, promising I'd see her again in the morning. No goodbyes yet.

"What's it like to have a teenage daughter?" a mum at school asked me once, whose eldest child is the same age as Adam.

"There are always boys in the house. Huge great boys with huge trainers in the hallway," I said, because I always trip over them. 'You're always out of food in the fridge because the same boys are always hungry. The girls eat nothing and then you worry about anorexia, and even if your daughter seems fine and eats fine you worry about bulimia.'

'Does she borrow your clothes?'

I laughed. As if. 'It's the contrast that's hard,' I said. 'Her skin glows. Mine is wrinkling. Even my legs look wrinkled next to hers.'

The school mum pulled a face, thinking it wouldn't happen to her, not realising that it probably already had, but without a teenage daughter for comparison she wouldn't know.'

- Debolina Raja Gupta