Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sneaky Peeky Sunday: The Coal Miner's Daughter by Loretta Lynn

I am currently reading the autobiography of country musician Loretta Lynn and as part of the Sneaky-Peeky Sunday here at The Book Worm, here is a page from her autobiography titled 'Coal Miner's Daughter' by Loretta Lynn with George Vecsey. Enjoy!!!

' Hey, You Ain't Supposed to
  Wear Clothes Under You
  Nightgown

 You can feel my body tremble
 As I wonder what this moment holds in store,
 And as you put your arms around me, you can tell,
 I've never been this far before......
  'I've Never Been This Far Before,'
     by Conway Twitty

 I was glad to see Doo, but I was afraid my Daddy was going to say something. I knew they didn't want me to see Doolittle, but you know how kids are - they're going to do what they want anyhow.

 I still wouldn't go in that jeep with him, not at first, so we courted at my house. It was cold - we met on December 10 - and we had to stay indoors. We would sit in the front room and talk, with all my sisters and brothers saying things about when he was gonna kiss me and stuff like that. And my Mommy walking in saying "Would you like a soda?" or talking about the weather. Just to keep an eye on us, you know.

 We didn't have much to talk about. I was just a bashful kid, never been anywhere. He told me a little about the army, and he talked a lot about Washington State, and said he wanted to move back there some day. I didn't have nothing to tell him about what I'd done. Kind of a one-sided affair, wasn't it? But that was how we spent December 11. The next day he talked me into riding in his jeep. But I didn't go with him just because he had a.....'

- Debolina Raja Gupta