Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Friday, May 4, 2012

Book Vs. Movie Adaptation: What Do You Like Better?


Last night I finally saw the movie The Help, based on the novel The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The movie has already received critical acclaim, winning many prestigious awards and being nominated for many others. Though I was eagerly waiting to watch the movie, I wanted to finish the book first.

I've always been curious about watching a movie that's been adapted from a book. Many times I've seen the movie first, and then gone on to read the book. But almost always each time, I have enjoyed reading the book way more. So now, I almost always read the book first and then watch the movie. Though there are still times when it happens the other way round. I understand its logistically not possible to create a movie word-by-word as the book, and maybe that is why I mostly enjoy the book version of a movie more, since it allows for way more visual treats and characterisation. Also, I feel, a book lets you connect with the characters way better than a movie.

A few books that I definitely enjoyed more than the movie are:

Not Without My Daughter by Betty Mahmoodi


The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Notebook

A few exceptions where I felt the movie was much better than the book:

The Japanese Wife by Kunal Basu (adapted into an awesome movie by Aparna Sen, I found the book pathetic and the movie one of the best ever!)

P.S. I Love You by (I loved the book, yes, but I think I loved the movie

A few exceptions where I found both the book and the movie to be equally amazing:


The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
 

- Debolina Raja Gupta