Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sneaky Peeky Sunday: One Day by David Nicholls

Reading this interesting book called 'One Day' by David Nicholls. As of now it's going okay, so will let you know how it is once Im finished. I haven't watched the movie yet, which stars Jim Sturgess (I loved him in the movie Across The Universe) and Anne Hathaway.

'...understanding between them. But they have always been close; always been open, and their habitual understanding has instead been replaced by bitterness, resentment, a rage on both their parts at what is happening. Meetings that should be fond and comforting descend into bickering and recrimination. Eight hours ago he was telling complete strangers his most intimate secrets, and now he can't talk to his mother. Something isn't right.

 'So. I saw largin 'it last week,' she says.

 'Did you?'

 She is silent, so he's forced to add, 'What did you think?'

 'I think you're very good. Very natural. You look very nice on the screen. As I've said before, I don't care for the programme very much.'

 'Well, it's not really meant for people like you, is it?'

 She bridles at the phrase, and turns her head imperiously. 'What do you mean, people like me?'

 Flustered, he continues, 'I mean, it's just a silly, late-night programme, that's all. It's post-pub-'

 'You mean I wasn't drunk enough to enjoy it?'

  'No-'

 'I'm not a prude either, I don't mind vulgarity, I just don't understand why it's suddenly necessary to humiliate people all the time-'

 'No-one's humiliated, not really, it's fun-'

 'You have competitions to find Britain's ugliest girlfriend. You don't think that's humiliating?'

 'Not reall, no-'

 'Asking men to send in photos of their ugly girlfriends.....'

 'It's fun, the whole point is the guys love them even though they're....not conventionally attractive, that's the whole point, it's fun!'

 'You keep saying it's fun, are you trying to convince me, or yourself?'

 'Let's just not talk about it, shall we?'


- Debolina Raja Gupta