Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, February 18, 2013

If Only by Geri Halliwell: First Page Mondays

Last week I ended up picking up this book at a local bookstore. I've always been a fan of the Spic Girls and found 'Ginger Spice' Geri quite cute! So it was obvious that I was drawn to pick this one up....

I'll share two first pages here...one from the Prologue and one from the First Chapter.

Prologue
Los Angeles, 6 August 1998

 Maybe I should start my story here, lying beside a swimming pool in Beverly Hills on my twenty-sixth birthday, watching a spectacular sunset through the smog. Between my toes, past the tangled hedge, I can look across Coldwater Canyon at hundreds of sprinklers revolving on perfectly manicured lawns beneath the palm trees.

 Winona lives down there somewhere, in a pastel-coloured stone-cladded mansion. Woody and Roseane are there, too. You can get a movie-star map down the road for $3.50 from a guy who wears a pistachio-green baseball cap and has a mobile souvenir stand in the boot of his Cadillac. I should buy one so I can tell mum about the neighbours.

 The police blocked off Sunset Boulevard for twenty minutes last week because President Clinton was in town for a Democratic fundraiser. There were secret servicemen on every corner, and the traffic lights were set to green so the motorcade could sweep through without stopping....'



.........................................................................

Chapter 1 Love Kiss And Broken Promises
Lee and Christopher were in the kitchen debating which of them was going to snog me. We were at my friend Shona's twelfth birthday party, sitting in the lounge listening to 'Move Closer' by Phyllis Nelson and 'Cherish' by Kool and the Gang - good snogging songs.

 Lee said that because he'd been my boyfriend twice before it was only fair that he should kiss me. We were in the same class at junior school and used to play Truth, Dare, Double Dare, Love, Kiss or Promise in the stock cupboard. I would run my hand across his skinhead haircut and tell him it tickled.

 Even at that age I was aware of sexual attraction, but in a very naive and childish way. I wore a green, drop waisted miniskirt, with my hair in braided pigtails, and when I looked in the mirror, I thought, Yeah, you're looking kinda sexy today.

 I had dropped Lee and started going out with Darren from Unit Six, who was one of those really bad kids that everyone said was a bit mental. Then my friend Tina started going out with Lee and I got.....'

- Debolina Raja Gupta