Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Author Devon Trevarrow Flaherty Talks About Her Big Dream Come True: Her New Release Benevolent (That's Available Now!)

When Author Devon Trevarrow Flaherty wrote in to me talking about her book Benevolent (it has just released virtually on the 18th of March 2013), the first thing that drew me to have a closer look at the book was definitely the cover (I always believe that a good book should have an equally good cover!) and the way in which she described the book to me - '........also falls under the labels of magic realism and coming-of-age, and includes some satire, humanitarianism, and romance. Plus, if you loved the 80s, the 90s, Detroit, the suburbs, the Midwest, or Israel, you’ll feel right at home with Gaby and the rest of the characters.'

I immediately fell in love with the 'idea' of the book and was curious to know more. It was great that she had attached a link to the first chapter of her book, and once I was through with it, I knew I wanted to read what happened next. And I wrote in immediately to her, asking about it! I'm sure you'll feel the same, so here's the link to the first chapter of Benevolent by Devon Trevarrow Flaherty.

Since her book has just now released virtually, to hit the reading market everywhere, it's an honour to have her here on the blog writing a guest post....Over to Devon to know a bit more about her as a person, as an author, about her experiences, ideas and what all went into creating, and finally, giving birth to Benevolent...



By Author Devon Trevarrow Flaherty


It is, without a doubt, a time for new experiences all across the publishing industry. It is a time for new experiences for me, too. I have been a writer my whole life but life and children stymied my lofty, authorial aspirations, that is until I aligned brains and goals with my editor aunt in 2012 and started a (very) small publishing company, Owl and Zebra Press. Then, completely fed up with the silence of the modern-day, poor-economy-and-e-reader-besieged agent, I turned to the topsy-turvy world of the new self-publisher. Before last autumn, I never would have imagined it. Now, on the published side of my first novel, Benevolent, I realize I was destined to head there if for no other reason than protagonists in literary fiction are not supposed to be teens and college students. Plus first authors are not supposed to write 400-page novels.

There are a lot of should nots in this business, and it seems self-publishers are breaking all the rules.

Sometimes that’s a bad idea. For example: the sheer number of books clogging the arteries of the POD machine, showing up for 99 cents and reeking of fresh ink. And by fresh ink I mean unedited copy. Spelling errors. Grammatical faux pas. Inconsistencies. Sentences that don’t make sense. A character leaves a room and then all of sudden they deliver the next line. Oi. Now we all look bad, thank you very much. More importantly, my carefully edited book—my career move—gets lost in all the white noise, all the chaff, all the mounds and mounds of fluff.

Sometimes breaking the rules is a good idea. I mean, we have already made all these neat discoveries; people liking and, heaven forbid, buying books that didn’t fit the industry formula. On top of that, writers are loosed to set their own terms, to make better royalties, and to write what they want, this time and the next time and the next time.

I didn’t have the sense while writing Benevolent that it would be my magnum opus. Of course, I can’t say it won’t be, definitely, but I consider it a first book to be proud of. It was written on my timeline (a long one), produced on my terms (professionally and quickly), and will sell only by my blood, sweat, and virtual tears (which almost certainly would have been the case even if I have published traditionally). But at the end of the day I can take that little peek at my Amazon listing, close the top down on the laptop, and drift off to dreamland thinking up plots for a fantasy trilogy, a YA series, a book of poetry, or a science fiction novel about time travel. Just as a reader can be lifted off to different places by so many wonderful books, so one wonderful author can now experience the practice and joy of writing different genres and for different ages.

And that is a good idea.....'


Virtual Release Date: Monday, March 18, 2013.

Giveaways and other events:
http://benevolentthenovel.com/
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6924961.Devon_Trevarrow_Flaherty
https://www.facebook.com/benevolentthenovel
https://www.facebook.com/benevolentthenovel

If you haven't yet picked up the book from your local bookstore, or if you live out of USA and would love to read more about this magical, special novel, get your very own paperback and Kindle copy at Amazon (and Ebooks on Smashwords).



- Debolina Raja Gupta