Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 8, 2013

Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale: Review

I received this book as a review copy from Bloomsbury. The book, titled Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale is under the category chic-lit.

Details about the book:
Title: Midnight in Austenland
Author: Shannon Hale
Publishers: Bloomsbury
No. of pages: 272
Genre: Chic-lit, romance

Midnight in Austenland happens after Austenland by the same author, and I got this book from Bloomsbury along with Austenland by Shannon Hale and you can read the review here. But you can easily read this book as a separate story, and don't necessarily need to have read the first one before you read this.

When I opened the mail, my thoughts were that this would be a really cosy and fast book to read, especially as this was under 300 pages and I mostly go for bigger books that are
about 500 pages or near. So this looked quite an easy read, plus obviously this was a chic-lit, so I assumed it would be. The cover was instantly likeable too and I wanted to open it up and dig in.


After her divorce from James, Charlotte's friends have been setting her up on blind dates, and by now, she's really over it all. Now all that Charlotte wants is a break from the same setup of meeting men on blind dates, and so, in order to escape, she plans a 2-week getaway for herself at Pembroke Park, a UK resort that promises to give its guests a Regency-era England experience, complete with Victorian homes, Victorian ladies and gentlemen, carriages, maids, servants, parlours and gardens, through it's paid actors. Although her intentions were to go on a well-meaning and much-needed break, Charlotte soon finds herself caught up in a mystery that surrounds an old story of ghosts and murders.

To be honest, I didn't really like the book. That does not mean that it is a bad read, it's simply the fact that somehow, this writing seemed really boring and 'vain' to me, and I finished it just for the heck of it. This book will be a delight for those who like chic-lit, and especially for those who have love Austenland by Shannon Hale. Also, as this is a very light read and is not that big, it would be suitable for those who are not into heavy reading and are looking at something to pass the time, especially while traveling.

I give it 2 hearts: an OK READ


- Debolina Raja Gupta