Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 29, 2013

Queen of Dreams by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni: First Page Mondays

 Of course she is my absolute favourite author....give me anything from Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's stable and I'll sure lap it up...not to say she is one of those rare writers who can mix charm, magic, fable, fantasy, prose, lyricism, sensuality, dreaminess, reality - all together and perfectly believable!

So I recently finished reading Queen of Dreams by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni and here's the first page from this gorgeous novel...if you haven't read it yet, you've missed out on something...grab it and have a go!

'FROM THE DREAM JOURNALS

Last night the snake came to me.

 I was surprised, though little surprises me nowadays.

 He was more beautiful than I remembered. His plated green skin shone like rainwater on banana plants in the garden plot we used to tend behind the dream caves.
But maybe as I grow older I begin to see beauty where I never expected it before.

 I said, It's been a while, friend. But I don't blame you for that. Not anymore.

 To show he bore me no ill will either, he widened his eyes. It was like a flash of sun on a sliver of mirror glass.

 The last time he'd appeared was a time of great change in my life, a time first of possibility, then of darkness. He had not returned after that, though I'd cried and called on him until I had no voice left.

 Why did he come now, when I was finally at peace with my losses, the bargains I'd made? When I'd opened my fists and let the things I longed for slip from them?

 His body glowed with light. A clear, full light tinged with coastal purples, later afternoon in the cypresses along the Pacific....

- Debolina Raja Gupta