Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Top 10 Books of 2013

image source

Well, the year is almost up! So it's that time of the year when we do a book wrap up of all the wonderful books we came across...And there have been so many great books I read this year. Look around the blog world or on YouTube and you'll come across some really amazing books that you must absolutely read if you haven't. 

This is not a list of books that have been necessarily published in the year 2013, but are books that I have read this year. So, without any more word space being eaten up, here we go...

My Top 10 Favourite Books of 2013 (in no particular order, but mostly in the order I read, with the first book being the one I read the earliest this year)



1. If Only by Geri Halliwell
image source
This was a great book that I read, and I really felt that every girl should read this for sure. This book is not just about making it in the glamour world or media. This book is about believing in your dreams and trying hard and believing in yourself that you can do it. It is about overcoming your flaws and making sure that what you do is the best that you can truly do. I really felt this is a great book that I came across.

2. The Great Indian Novel by Shashi Tharoor
image source
A really intelligent political satire, one that I felt was written with great wisdom and wit. This is truly one of the best books that has ever been written by an Indian, with a very Indian theme, but which is extremely global. A must read for anyone who loves a book that can lead to hours and hours of conversation and debate.

3. The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
image source
I read the sequel of this one (The Shadow of The Wind) before I read this and it had simply blown me away. So when I learned that this was the prequel, I absolutely had to read it. And what a book. Of course no one needs to be reminded about the genius of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, but in case you haven't read this one, then you truly should get your copy right away. And as for the storyline, I can't describe it here, won't be doing justice to it, but I would suggest you take a good look at the cover and I'm sure you'll guess the 'feel' of the book.

4. No Longer At Ease by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
image source
I am a great fan of Chinue Achebe and this is the reason I picked up this book. And as was obvious, I absolutely loved it. Read it.

5. The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling
image source
This is the first book I read by J K Rowling (no, I didn't read the Harry Potter series, but may be I will now). And was I blown over!!!! After reading this book I truly want for J K Rowling to write more grown books instead of only kids books. Is she brilliant? She surely is......And I am really looking forward to watching the series that is going to be produced by BBC in 2014.

6. The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
image source
I've never read a book like this. The theme, the idea, it was all so very different, I have never read something even remotely similar. And I absolutely loved it! It's such a wonderfully written book, brilliant, intelligent, and at the same time it tugs at your heart. And the movie is equally beautiful and special.

7. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
image source

This is a gorgeous book and if you haven't read it, I truly suggest you do.

8. Inferno by Dan Brown
image source
Undoubtedly one of those books that make those grey cells go tick tick tick.....Loved it!!!!!

9. Parenting Illustrated with Crappy Pictures by Amber Dusick
image source
Truly one of the most amazing books that talks about what parenting really is. This is one of the most intelligent, witty, interesting, real, practical, fun, awesome and amazingly wow book I've read - EVER !!!!!

10. A Fraction of The Whole by Steve Toltz
image source
A very smart book that is really deserving of multiple reads.......

Oh, it's only 10 books I could select...but there were sooooooooooo many wonderful books I read this year :-)

I already have my book list ready for the coming year and will share it very soon with you guys...

Do let me know what books you absolutely loved reading this year...And wish you all a wonderfully happy new year ahead....

Lots of love....

- Debolina Raja Gupta