Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, April 28, 2014

The Ocean At The End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman: First Page Mondays

image source

Okay, so I have heard sooooo much about this book, and I finally I have started reading The Ocean At The End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

This is my first book by this author, and though I have only just begun reading it, I am already loving the style. For those of you who may not know, this is a contemporary novel, but the twist is that it has a lot of fantasy and elements of horror in it.

For now, have a look at the first page.....

It was only a duckpond, out at the back of the farm. It wasn't very big.

Letty Hempstock said it was an ocean, but I knew that was silly. She said they'd come here across the ocean from the old country.

 Her mother said that Lettie didn't remember properly, and it was a long time ago,  and anyway, the old country had sunk.

 Old Mrs Hempstock, Lettie's grandmother, said they were both wrong, and that the place that had sunk wasn't the really old country. She said she could remember the really old country.

 
 She said the really old country had blown up.

 Prologue

I wore a black suit and a white shirt, a black tie and black shoes, all polished and shiny: clothes that normally would make me feel uncomfortable, as if I were in a stolen uniform, or pretending to be an adult. Today they gave me comfort, of a kind. I was wearing the right clothes for a hard day.

 I had done my duty in the morning, spoken the words I was meant to speak, and I meant them as I spoke them, and then, when the service was done, I got in my car and I drove, randomly, without a plan, with an hour or so to kill before I met more people I had not seen for years and shook more hands and drank too many cups of tea from the best china. I drove along winding Sussex country roads I only half remembered, until I found myself headed towards the town centre, so I turned, randomly, down another road, and took a left, and a right. It was only then that I realised where I was going, where I had been going all along, and I grimaced at my own foolishness.

- Debolina Raja Gupta