Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone by J K Rowling: My Take On The Book And Series




I am one of those probably very few people who haven’t read the Harry Potter books and have not even seen the movies. I saw the first movie, but though it was sweet, I thought it to be quite kiddish. I tried watching one or two more, but somehow didn’t really like them.

Recently, after much convincing from friends and fellow readers, I decided to give the series a try.

One thing I realised was that the reason I wasn’t picking it up in the first place was because of the intense hype surrounding the series. I mean, everyone, starting from publishers to book reading friends to celebrities to the entire booktube community on youtube was gaga about it. It seemed that unless you had read the 
Harry Potter series, your existence was worthless really.

I didn’t care about it and there was so much pressure about reading it that it put me off.

I had picked up the first and second book I think about 3 years back, just because everyone was reading it and talking about it, but like I said, the pressure got to me and I didn’t read it.

So a few weeks back, I did read the first book in the series – Harry Potter and the Philosophers’ Stone by J K Rowling.


There is no point in me discussing the book, or doing a review. It has already been done to death, and there is nothing new I will bring here that has not already been said or written. Plus the fact that probably the entire world has watched the movies and loved them too. So me coming out now and doing a review is useless.

Which is why I think I will simply state my take on the book, of what I thought of it and my views on it.

I read the book and finished it. I enjoyed it.

But.

While reading the first book, it seemed like I was reading a book meant for a 9 year old and reading it to my 6 year old daughter.

I found it extremely kiddish, very cute, very sweet and the characters very adorable.

But the scary bits, like whatever and whoever cannot be named and the like, well, it was as scary as the monster that lives inside my daughter’s cupboard or behind the curtains at night.

I enjoyed the book, and I am also aware of the fact that the book was written by J K Rowling as a story she was making up for her kids. I am amazed at this mother, who started out knitting stories and today is one of the most read authors around the world.

But that said and done, this book was not meant for me, at all.

I am not the kind of reader who should be reading it, and I stopped from picking up the second book in the series.

I am currently on an entirely different plane of reading altogether. And I don’t think I will be reading the remaining books in the series (there are a total of 6 or 7 books in the series I think). But I may pick it up some day, when my daughter wants me to read it out to her, or maybe she will read it on her own. I don’t know.

But as for now, here is my status. That I choose to remain one of those ancient readers who have not read Harry Potter and are not planning to do so either.

Don’t judge me ;-)

It's a lovely series from what I hear from other kids and even grown ups a lot, and I do suggest that if you haven't read it, give it a try. It didn't work for me, but I still liked it and found it adorable. Maybe I was expecting something much darker or intense. But it could still work for you, right?


- Debolina Raja Gupta