Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen: On The Cover


In a reverse behaviour to what I always usually have (I always read a book first and then watch the movie some time and mostly never like it as much as the book!) I ended up watching this movie first. And the worst part of all was that I had no idea that it was originally a book!!!!! Disgusting me!!!!

Anyways, I had Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen on my books wishlist ever since then, and finally have got a copy for myself. This is an old copy, the kinds that I absolutely love.....!!!! It's a much used one and now it finds a home with me :)

So, without wasting any more time, or keyboard clatter (which I really love), let's give you a peek into the cover jacket blurb.... btw...isn't the cover absolutely gorgeous? Takes you to those old school days of circus!

Here goes....

Beautifully written and completely unforgettable, Water for Elephants is an atmospheric, gritty and compelling novel of star-crossed lovers, set in the US circus world circa 1932.

When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits - the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth - a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town.


 Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge for caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her.

 Water for Elephants is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.

- Debolina Raja Gupta