Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fortunately The Milk by Neil Gaiman: Review


image source



So Bloomsbury Publishers were really kind to send me some very interesting books. They recently sent me 4 books, out of which one was Neil Gaiman’s Fortunately The Milk. 

I have read Neil Gaiman’s The Ocean At The End of The Lane and watched the movie Coraline that is based on his book. I liked that book and I absolutely enjoyed watching the movie, which was quite spooky for a kiddy movie, but was really awesome nonetheless. Both me and my daughter enjoyed it equally.

So when I received this book from the publishers, I was really looking forward to see what my 6 year old daughter had to say about it. She looooooved the cover.....and began reading immediately. I finally borrowed it yesterday from her for half an hour and read it up :)

For starters, the cover is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! It is so so so pretty! I am not clicking it but putting up images from the net, as the cover is super shiny and trying to click it was not bringing out the effect that way. The cover as you see here does not do justice to how pretty it really is! It's one of the most beautiful book covers I've ever seen...its really pretty!

Before I go on and on about the book, here are the basic details:



Details about the book:

Title: Fortunately The Milk
Author: Neil Gaiman
No. of pages: 114
Format: Hardcover

About the story:

Mom has had to go out on a very important conference. So she has told Dad what all needs to be done at home, as the kids are left behind.

Dad has to look after the kids on his own now, and the brother and sister are sure he will manage. He does.

But next morning, they run out of milk. Of course the kids can’t put orange juice or mayonnaise on their cereal, and dad has to go out and get milk. Which he does, eventually.

He comes back home, after ages and ages.

And when asked what took him so long, he tells the kids about an adventure that is simply out of this world – literally! The story is about his adventure on a spaceship, in a different time and space, his adventure aboard a human-floating-balloon-ball-thing with a Dinosaur Professor, his adventures atop a volcano and amidst the forest people, amidst vampires and all things gloopy and snotty and yucky and oh-what-y!!!!

My take on the book:

The first thing that I absolutely have to again mention here is the amazing illustrations. Here are a few clicks of the same:



* see above, this is how he is shown waiting and waiting and waiting........

This book is definitely one of the most beautiful books I have ever seen. 
While this book is pitched as a children's book, it is true grown ups too will love reading it, just for the different outlook and approach. Another great thing about this book is that while kids will read it in a particular way and understand it one way, as a grown up, you can simply choose to enjoy it for what it is, or brood a bit more. Totally your call.

 Much of the book's appeal is due to one of the finest illustration work I have ever seen. It is true that the illustrations take this book to a whole new level. Story wise, it is interesting, but I won't say unique. Of course there is a lot of imagination at work here, and the sense in nonsense theme reminds me of stories I heard as a kid myself from the very talented Sukumar Ray (who was Satyajit Ray's father). One of his most famous kids' works Aabol Taabol, literally means Gibberish!
If you don't know who Sukumar Ray is, you may CLICK HERE

The story is really a lot of fun, where you meet characters you would never really come across in a regular or sane-r story. You keep traveling in time and space and here and there and more, and finally, the biggest question remains - will Dad manage to hold on to the milk?

There is a lot of imagery, apart from the illustrations, and the book is really fun to read......filled with a lot of swoosh and bang and thump and zooom and ziiig and plonk and thunk and what-not!

While Ocean At The End of The Lane was an okay read for me (I found it too over-hyped), this one I absolutely loved.

Here's the lovely Chris Riddell who brought this book alive:

And our wonderful story teller Neil Gaiman


If you read the book, you'll see how much DAD resembles our creator here :D

I obviously give it a love of 5 !!! And recommend that you DEFINITELY READ IT.




- Debolina Raja Gupta