Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 28, 2014

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn: First Page Mondays

http://theaimn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/DarkPlaces.jpg



image source

So this is the third book I am reading by this author, and the second consecutive, just after I finished reading Sharp Objects.  Obviously, she is a favourite author.

So here is the first page from Dark Places by Gillian Flynn..

......................

The Days were a clan that mighta lived long
But Ben Day's head got screwed on wrong
That boy craved dark Satan's power
So he killed his family in one nasty hour

Little Michelle he strangled in the night
Then chopped up Debby; a nasty sight
Mother Patty he saved for last
Blew off her head with a shotgun blast

Baby Libby somehow survived
But to live through that ain't much a life

- schoolyard rhyme, circa 1985

Libby Day
NOW

I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ. Slit me at my belly and it might slid out, meaty and dark, drop on the floor so you could stomp on it. It's the Day blood. Something's wrong with it. I was never a good little girl, and I got worse after the murders.
Little Orphan Libby grew up sullen and boneless, shuffled around a group of lesser relatives - second cousins and great-aunts and friends of friends - stuck in a series of mobile homes or rotting ranch houses all across Kansas. Me going to school in my dead sisters' hand-me-downs: Shirts with mustardy armpits. Pants with baggy bottoms, comically loose, held on with raggedy belt cinched to the farthest hole. In class photos my hair was always crooked - barrettes hanging loosely from strands, as if they were airborne objects caught in the tangles - and I always had bulging pockets under my eyes, drunk-landlady eyes. Maybe a grudging curve of the lips where a smile should be. Maybe.

 I was not a lovable child, and I'd grown into a deeply unlovable adult. Draw a picture of my soul, and it'd be a scribble with fangs.......


- Debolina Raja Gupta