Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The TBR Bug: Reading At Random

image source

Of late I have noticed a lot of TBR videos on BookTube. For those of you who may not be familiar with the term TBR (which is actually good, and you will soon see why), it means To Be Read.

The booktube community on Youtube is something I am actively tuned in to. And there have been some really great recommendations that I have got from these channels.

But one thing that really really really bugs me is when readers try and create their TBRs and end up reading books just because they promised and planned to do it in advance.

For me, reading has always been something that I love, and genuinely want to get in. A good book takes me to a whole new world altogether, and I am sad when it ends, as it leaves me missing the characters and missing that life and world. I truly miss a good book when it ends.

And once I finish it, I pick up a book depending on what I am feeling like at that point of time. So, it means that I mostly always have a book with me that I want to read, and hence enjoy it more (unless it's so useless that I don't want to read it anymore.) It's not because I have planned and said a month ago that this is a book I will read, and now, even though I may not want to, I still have to read it.


Nopes, that's not how it works for me.

I find it really annoying when people show piles of books, anything between 8-15 books at a time, and declare that this is their TBR, and ask us what's ours. Oh come on! How can you decide on 10 books in advance and say that yes, this is what I AM gonna read this month?

What if another very interesting books comes up?

What if you began a series and realise you don't like it? Will you still read the entire series just because you said earlier you would?

I don't know. For me, a book always speaks.....I am saying this to the tune of sounding outright crazy, but yea, can't help it....

So, if that book calls out to me then, I will pick it up and read it. Sometimes, it could be a really old one that I have read earlier and loved, sometimes it could be one that I started but didn't like and stopped (of course books deserve a second chance too), sometimes, it could be a book I recently heard about and just want to read it right now, so I buy it.

There are so many different reasons for me of picking up a book and reading it. And none of those is creating a TBR ;)

If you know what I mean.......

- Debolina Raja Gupta