Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith: First Page Mondays

image source



I

QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.

Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier


'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

 The large unshaven man tramping through the darkness of pre-dawn, with his telephone clamped to his ear, grinned.

 'It's in that ballpark.'

 'It's six o' clock in the fucking morning!'

 'It's half past six, but if you want what I've got, you'll need to come and get it,' said Cormoran Strike. 'I'm not far away from your place. There's a---'


 'How'd you know where I live?' demanded the voice.

  'You told me,' said Strike, stifling a yawn. 'You're selling your flat.'

 'Oh,' said the other, mollified. 'Good memory.'

 'There's a twenty-four-hour caff--'

 'Fuck that. Come into the office later.'

 'Culpepper, I've got another client waiting this morning, he pays better than you do and I've been up all night. You need this now if you're going to use it.'

 A groan. Strike could hear the rustling of sheets.

 'It had better be shit-hot.'

 'Smithfield Cafe on Long Lane,' said Strike and rang off.


 - Debolina Raja Gupta