Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: Review





So I just finished reading the book that I have heard so much about – The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I got a lot of recommendations on this online as well as through the booktube community, and all the responses were very good. So finally, when I saw it here at my favourite bookstore, I picked it up.

To be fair, the first thing that got me interested was of course the good things I had heard about it, and also the cover and the various illustrations…it’s a beautiful book to look at! I had no idea about the story, so most of my decision on bringing the book home was the fact that most people seemed to have liked it, plus it had those old style drawing-esque illustrations.

Trying to describe the book is quite difficult, as I can now understand after having read it. To keep it simple, the book is about magic and illusion and the beauty and art of manipulation and hypnotism. The title of the book is pretty literal – the story is definitely about a circus, a magical one at that, and appears suddenly in the middle of the night in various towns and cities. The circus is open only at night, and all acts begin after the sun sets, closing before down.


There are quite a few main characters, and I will not be getting into details, for the precise reason that I might end up giving away more than I want to.

The premise of the book is set in a storyland that I have never visited earlier. It is beautiful, magic, enchanting, a little dark and quite the secretive setting. It is truly like nothing I have read before, and I have no comparisons to share here. True it does revolve around a circus, but it is a circus like you've never seen or heard or read about before.

It took me some time to finish reading this, though it should generally take a couple days or so. I was out traveling with family and celebrating, so the book did get neglected in all the moving about.

If you haven’t read it yet, I strongly recommend you do, it will be like nothing you have read before. And in case you feel it does read like something else you may have read, do let me know. 


Also, try and stay away from book spaces that share the review of this book. Instead, go with an open mind and lose yourself in the magic.

- Debolina Raja Gupta