Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, October 13, 2014

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami: First Page Mondays


Unbelievable for me but true, this is the first time I am reading this amazing writer who I've always been wanting to read (what the hell prevented me from doing so till now is something I will think on later, once I have finished devouring all his works!). In fact, this book too came my way as I was browsing a friend's home library...and of course, as I loved it (who wouldn't love his books on a sane mind??!!) those who know me know that I will buy it and bring it home to me :)

So without my usual blabbering, here's the first page of Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami that I just finished reading...

.............

I often dream about the Dolphin Hotel.
 In these dreams, I'm there, implicated in some kind of ongoing circumstance. All indications are that I belong to this dream continuity.
 The Dolphin Hotel is distorted, much too narrow. It seems more like a long, covered bridge. A bridge stretching endlessly through time. And there I am, in the middle of it. Someone else is there too, crying.
 The hotel envelops me. I can feel its pulse, its heat. In dreams, I am part of the hotel.

 I wake up, but where? I don't just think this, I actually voice the question to myself: "Where am I?" As if I didn't know: I'm here. In my life. A feature of the world that is my existence. Not that I particularly recall ever having approved these matters, this condition, this state of affairs in which I feature. There might be a woman sleeping next to me. More often, I'm alone. Just me and the expressway that runs right next to my apartment and, bedside, a glass (five millimeters of whiskey still in it) and the malicious - no, make that indifferent - dusty morning light. Sometimes it's raining. If it is, I'll just stay in bed. And if there's.......

- Debolina Raja Gupta