Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Books I Read In January 2015: My Monthly Reading

The Reader "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl





image source

The year 2015 started great for me on the reading note! While I have set myself a goal of reading 90 books this year, I managed to read 13 books in the month of January itself.....quite happy about it, though there were a few short stories that I read this time (I am generally not into short stories and mostly read books that are at least 400+ pages) so this was quite the change.




http://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780099448471/sputnik-sweetheart.jpg
The first book I read this year was Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami. Absolutely loved it. In fact, this year I plan to read all books by this amazing author. I do highly recommend you read this one if you are into lyrical, magical, mystical books.

2.

The second story I read this year was Mangshiyo Hulor Holiday by Nabaneeta Deb Sen. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this at all. This story was in the Bengali language and the author is a very famous Bengali writer. Sadly for me, I seem to not be able to enjoy her works (as you will see in the list later too!)

3.
http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2013/10/16/4833296/353-the-luminaries-cover-300x0.jpg
The third book I read was The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. Now my thoughts on this book are quite contrasting. I bought this book the year it won the Booker, which is 2013 but I managed to read it only now!!! Bad!!!! Anyways, I had heard sooooo much about this book that it created a super hype and made me not read it....I had started reading it last year once but gave up after the initial pages. This time I was sure I would read it to the end. This book is almost 900 pages long.....but let me tell you this...I really had to try and keep my eyes open and try and make sense of what I was reading for the first 350 pages !!!!! I would have given up....but just the fact that it had won made me read it...and it does get quite interesting later on.....but the initial struggle was too much....

4. The 4th story I read was by the same Bengali author I mentioned earlier. The story is called Express Account by Nabaneeta Deb Sen. Nopes....didnt like it sadly.

5. Interestingly, this too is by the same Bengali author Nabaneeta Deb Sen and is one I liked. The story was titled Gadadharpur Women's College.

6. http://www.felixwhelan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/graveyard-book.jpg

The sixth book I read was sent to me by Bloomsbury. It's The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'm looking at reading some graphic novels now and this was on my list...so thanks Bloomsbury for sending this over !!! :) Review to come up soon....Loved it of course!

7. https://singlemaltmonkey.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/b93b7892d10c50deac6f8752be32da39.jpg

The seventh book happens to be My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk. Books by this author have been a hit or miss. I really loved his two other works but did not really get much out of this one.

8. Maps for Lost Lovers by Nadeem Aslam  was the toughest and most boring read of January 2015 for me....and it has won some international prizes and was longlisted for the Booker! Nope....this was a retry to see if I could read it...I did manage to finish it but just because I didn't want to give up....I do not recommend reading this at all...

9. http://media.npr.org/assets/bakertaylor/covers/w/world-war-z/9780770437411_custom-fce8ddae4be8e3e0d627f0fba8047ba779e7f3e4-s6-c30.jpg

I finally read World War Z by Max Brooks this year! And I liked it quite a lot....I even watched the movie after I finished reading the book...but found it pretty okay...

10. http://porochistakhakpour.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/The_Last_Illusion_UK_ed_by_Porochista_Khakpour.jpg

The tenth book I read was another one that was sent to me by Bloomsbury. It's called The Last Illusion by Porochista Khakpour. This is a very different book from what I usually read and I found it alright.....

11. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e1/MissPeregrineCover.jpg
I'm sure I'm the last person in the world who read Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs now! I'm actually ashamed of myself that I didn't read it earlier!!! This is definitely one of the best and most original books I have ever read.....

12. The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon....I loved the book when I read it as an advanced review copy before its release in 2013...I re-read it as I have just started with The Mime Order, which is the second book in the series. Both books have been sent to me by Bloomsbury for a review.

13. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Book 1

- Debolina Raja Gupta