Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, January 19, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: First Page Mondays

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781594746031_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG


image source

I've heard just so so much about this book on BookTube that I had to get it. It's hard to get this in India. I've never seen it in any bookstore anywhere and the prices online were too high. Thankfully there is Amazon and I had created an alert to know when the book would be available on a discount. I just got it yesterday and am already in love with it....will read it soon and tell you all about it....

For now, if you have no idea about this book or what it is about, here's a look at the first page from the book Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.

I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen. The first of these came as a terrible shock, and, like anything that changes you forever, split my life into halves: Before and After. Like many of the extraordinary things to come, it involved my grandfather Abraham Portman.

 Growing up, Grandpa Portman was the most fascinating person I knew. He had lived in an orphanage, fought in wars, crossed oceans by steamship and deserts on horseback, performed in circuses, knew everything about guns and self-defense and surviving in the wilderness, and spoke at least three languages that weren't English. It all seemed unfathomably exotic to a kid who'd never left Florida, and I begged him to regale me with stories whenever I saw him. He always obliged, telling
them like secrets that could be entrusted only to me.

 When I was six I decided that my only chance of having a life half as exciting as Grandpa Portman's was to become an explorer. He encouraged me by spending afternoons at my side hunched over maps of the world, plotting imaginary expeditions with trails of red pushpins and telling me about the fantastic places I would discover one day. At home I made my ambitions known by parading around with a cardboard tube held to my eye, shouting 'Land ho!' and 'Prepare a landing party!' until my parents shooed me outside. I think they worried that my grandfather would infect me with some incurable dreaminess from which I'd never recover - that these .........

- Debolina Raja Gupta