Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon: Review

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l7-aR8kGwbY/VKbqmVK_x6I/AAAAAAAADoQ/p2cWm7Z1abo/s1600/the%2Bmime%2Border.jpg



I received my advanced reader copy (ARC) of  The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon from the publishers Bloomsbury in December 2014 (thank you sooooo much guys!!!!). I have developed a really lovely relationship with Bloomsbury, especially the fact that they have been coming up with some really interesting titles and authors. And going by the 'reads' of it, it seems this association of good books will continue for long, especially as I'm sure they'll continue giving us amazing reads.

Though I really wanted to read it and was planning on starting it ASAP, I had to hold on, as I was really caught up in work and some family stuff and knew it wouldn't be good to read this book in a rush. Plus it had been quite some time that I had read The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon , the first book in the suggested seven part series (you can read the review here.)

If you haven't read The Bone Season you really need to read it first, as this is not the kind of series that can be read separately as individual books. In fact, I was quite happy that the book carries on the tone it set in the firs book, which is from the point of view of our main protagonist, Paige Mahoney.

The ARC mentioned that this was not the final version that would be released and I am not sure if this is the exact cover that has finally been released. I think it is a similar version but I have seen a lot of variations online. Also, even if there were changes made in the final version, I am sure most of it would still remain the same.

Goodreads Blurb:

Here's a quick at the blurb from Goodreads.

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal prison camp of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the survivors are missing and she is the most wanted person in London...


As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on the dreamwalker, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take centre stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner. Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. But where is Warden? Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided.


I read The Bone Season all over again and finally read The Mime Order in January 2015. It has already released now and has also released in India in January 2015. 

What The Story Is About:

As becomes clear on reading the first book, there is a reason the book is called The Bone Season. The same understanding becomes clear as you read The Mime Order. But for those of you who have already read the first book, you will get an idea of what the title could mean - a new order or ruler of the Mime perhaps? ;)

Our main protagonist from The Bone Season - Paige Mahoney - has finally escaped from the prison colony of Sheol I where she was captured and kept and tortured in the first book. Along with her, a number of other fugitives are also trying to make a run back to their life as it was before the capture. Paige does manage to make it to her syndicate, but not everyone is successful. And while they were getting ready to finally escape, she also says goodbye to Warden (a character I really loved!)

Now Paige finally returns to her Mime Lord Jaxon, even though she does not really want to, but does not have an alternate option for the time being. She plans to make everyone aware about what happened in Sheol I, about the existence of Sheol I and Rephaites and how they hold a strong control over Scion and all of London. But Jaxon does not want her to mention any of this to anyone. I really found his character quite intriguing. With a mix of good and evil, he felt very real and it was interesting to predict how he would turn towards a certain situation - with his good or his cunning.

Paige knows that the Rephaites will hunt her down, and to keep her aura hidden, she stays hidden and flits from one location to another. She also ends up becoming one of the most wanted enemy in Scion and everyone is out there to get her.

This is more or less what I can reveal....the rest is for you to find out and enjoy....but trust me, if you liked the first book (which I am sure you did!) you will need to read this too.

My Thoughts On The Mime Order

If I have to compare The Mime Order to The Bone Season (and a comparison is inevitable and expected), I would say the first book was much more fast paced for me. That does not however mean that The Mime Order is not as good. It is. And it is fast paced too, but just not as turn-the-page-right-now throughout the book. There are many parts where I had to continue reading even though it was quite late at night (and by that I mean like past 3am) and I had to wake up early for kids and work, but I still could not put it down...It is good.

What was left off at the end of book 1 picks up at the start of book 2. It is like a smooth transition and continuation. Also, The Mime Order gives a detailed understanding of various other characters that are important to the story line and plotting. I especially liked the in-depth look at Jaxon and also the Warden-Nashira angle. There's a lot of change happening to Paige too from a character development point. And Nick too has a lot to do in this book, and I loved him.

I honestly was looking forward to read this one and was keeping my fingers crossed that it would not succumb to the second-book-in-the-series-goes-dud syndrome.....No, it lives up to all the expectation and the hype.

The book is already out now and easily available in all major bookstores as well as online. Do check it out and I highly highly recommend it!


- Debolina Raja Gupta