Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, February 9, 2015

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome: First Page Mondays

This is not the regular version of the book Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome but is a special edition copy that has been brought out by the amazing drinks brand called Paper Boat. If you haven't had their refreshing and innovative drinks yet (which I absolutely do not think can be a possibility if you are of a sane mind, or may be you are visiting us from another planet and have not yet encountered it) you definitely, and I mean definitely, need to CHECK THEM OUT HERE!

Also, my association and love for Paper Boat goes back a long time, almost the time they came up to start bombarding us with the flavors of our childhood! You can enjoy that experience HERE

So I was hugely surprised when I received this package in the mail and that too from Paper Boat! I wasn't expecting anything, and this sure did not look like another awesome bag of drinks! So what could it be? I opened the package and inside was something wrapped in newspaper (oh how I love it when people wrap things in a newspaper! Thanks a ton guys!!!!) and a cute little green ribbon :) Wow...I can't remember the last time in years when someone has given or sent me something wrapped up like this....thank youuuuuuuuu :)


I'm really sorry I could not click it then. But the package was a re-done edition of the book....And I must say I haven't read it yet! Am so going to start it soon :)

For now, here's what's on the first page (of the original book)... the Paper Boat team has done a fantastic preface to the book. You should get hold of one, it's priced at INR 120.

So here we go....

Three invalids - Sufferings of George and Harris - A victim to one hundred and seven fatal maladies - Useful prescriptions - Cure for liver complaint in children - We agree that we are overworked, and need rest - A week on the rolling deep? - George suggests the river - ?Montmorency lodges an objection - Original motion carried by majority of three to one

There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, Montmorency. We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about how bad we were - bad from a medical point of view I mean, of course.

We were all feeling seedy, and we were getting quite nervous about it. Harris said he felt such extraordinary fits of giddiness come over him at times, that he hardly knew what he was doing; and then George said that he had fits of giddiness too, and hardly knew what he was doing. With me, it was my liver that was out of order. I knew it was my liver that was out of order, because I had just been reading a patent liver-pill circular, in which were detailed the various symptoms by which a man could tell when his liver was out of order. I had them all.

 It is a most extraordinary thing, but I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form. The diagnosis seems in every case to correspond exactly with all the sensations that I have ever felt.

 I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch -


- Debolina Raja Gupta