Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, March 9, 2015

She Will Build Him A City by Raj Kamal Jha: First Page Mondays

http://img5a.flixcart.com/image/book/4/2/3/she-will-build-him-a-city-original-imae2bxdp6zsky6h.jpeg


Bloomsbury  sent me this lovely book titled She Will Build Him A City by Raj Kamal Jha. I've just started reading it so can't tell you much about it yet, but yes, it's quite an interesting read so far.....

Here's what the first page says:

WOMAN

WINTER AFTERNOON

THIS, tonight, is a summer night, hot, gathering dark, and that is a winter afternoon, cold, falling light, when you are eight years nine years old, when you come running to me, jumping commas skipping breath, and you say, Ma, may I ask you something may I ask you something and I say, of course, baby, you may ask me anything and you say, Ma, when I am tired, when my legs hurt, when my eyes begin to close, I only need to call you, I only need to say, Ma, and you appear instantly, like magic, from wherever you are you set aside whatever you're doing you come running to me you lift me up you carry me you walk with me you.

 Slow down, slow down, I tell you, but, of course, you don't, you say if it's sleep time, you place
pillows on either side of me, you fluff them up, you switch off the light, you wait outside my room and only when you don't hear me move do you walk away, Ma, my question is.

 And you pause.

 You breathe in, deep.

 You toe-tap the floor, the earth spins underneath, your eyes look into mine as if you are the mother and I am the child and you ask:
 Ma, is there someone who can do the same with you?

 What do you mean? I ask.....

 ------------------------------------

There, you see..isn't it absolutely beautifully put on paper? Even the first page? I loved it from then on and am reading it now in between my work....

- Debolina Raja Gupta