Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, July 20, 2015

Powder Room By Shefalee Vasudev: First Page Mondays




I picked this book up on a lark, because I always love reading about behind-the-scenes events and happening. And come on, being a woman, I absolutely love fashion, style, marketing tactics and also the very interesting mind games that are targeted around launch and promotions...It makes for some great insights into the human mind and how big names know just where to target their strengths...

I have only been able to read a bit of it, but whatever I have seen of it seems quite interesting...for now, here's the #FirstPageMonday look at the book titled Powder Room by Shefalee Vasudev

DRY CLEAN ONLY

"I'd wear any of my private attire for the world to see. But I'd rather have an open flesh wound than ever wear a band aid in public." - Lady Gaga

Raakesh Agarvwal walked into the coffee shop at Radisson MBD in Noida, wearing shorts and a worn-out T-shirt and gave me a big hug. Raakesh was freshly shaven, and a strong perfume wafted around him, but he looked gaunt and tired as always. "If you see my call list, you'd think I'm friends with Lara Dutta, Sonakshi Sinha, Anushka Sharma, Jacqueline Fernandes, Genelia D'Souza...." said Raakesh, showing me his Blackberry. "But how can I forget that there are no real friends in fashion," he added, trying to diminish the effect of cheesy name dropping.

Raakesh has not been keeping well for the last couple of years and the word got around in the industry. A few days before we met at Radisson, he had attended a party hosted by a fashion magazine. Some socialites, who are also his clients, had walked up to him, curious to find out what was wrong. "Where's your car, babe? Don't you drive a BMW now?" he drawled, mimicking what a lady had said to him. "No, I don't," Raakesh had snapped back. "I get distracted while driving and can't afford to keep a chauffeur driven car, so I take a Meru cab."

Another walked up to him, curious about his health. "Babes, we heard you were on your deathbed, how nice to see you, are you okay now, sweetheart?" Before Raakesh could reply, the lady turned to air kiss and chat with someone else. "This fake concern makes me sick. She asks me if I am on my deathbed, then doesn't even want to listen to my answer! Can you believe that?" Raakesh looked hurt. .....

- Debolina Raja Gupta