Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Monday, October 5, 2015

A Spool Of Blue Thread By Anne Tyler: First Page Mondays

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/galleries/x701/66504.jpg


image source

As I am known to do many times, I ended up checking out this book for its beautiful cover - have a look, doesn't it immediately transport to another time and place? It does, for me......I had to get it home, especially after I read what the story was about.

So before we get into the details, I haven't started reading it yet, here's what's on the first page..

.....................................

Late one July evening in 1994, Red and Abby Whitshank had a phone call from their son Denny. They were getting ready for bed at the time. Abby was standing at the bureau in her slip, drawing hairpins one by one from her scattery sand-colored topknot. Red, a dark, gaunt man in striped pajama bottoms and a white T-shirt had just sat down on the edge of the bed to take his socks off; so when the phone rang on the nightstand beside him, he was the one who answered. "Whitshank residence," he said.

And then, "Well, hey there."

Abby turned from the mirror, both arms still raised to her head.

"What's that," he said, without a question mark.

"Huh?" he said. "Oh, what the hell Denny!"

Abby dropped her arms.

"Hello?" he said. "Wait. Hello? Hello?"

- Debolina Raja Gupta