Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Friday, November 20, 2015

What I Have Been Reading Of Late And How My Reading Goals Have Been Through 2015



http://internsadda.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/women-dress-reading-books-turkish-nail-polish.jpg

2015 has been a fun reading year for me. As most of you who have been reading my book blog here are already aware of, I have been participating in the Goodreads Reading Challenge from the year 2011, and this year too I have been on the same. While I wanted to set a goal of reading a 100 books this year, I set it at 90, as I knew there was going to be a lot of work and home commitments that would need my time and attention.

The year has been great in terms of my choice of reading, but it has been one of my worst years in terms of reading up and getting into a reading slouch. Of course reading is something that I do almost the same way as I breathe. I can’t live without a book with me (or make it a few books actually, as you know that I always carry multiple books with me in case I finish the one and then do not have anything more to read for that time, which is always a scary and crisis situation for me!).

This year I have concentrated on reading a lot of literary work, as well as reading up on a lot of books that featured on various book award lists, whether longlisted, shortlisted or winning the title. It was something I was looking forward to and finally did, and was of course not disappointed.


In terms of my reading slouch, there was a huge amount of time that I have wasted this year and not been able to read at all. For me, everyday has to have a book in it. But the reading slouch saw me going for weeks and actually, almost two to three months this year when I was just not able to read at all. Not at all. Many things happen when you don’t know what you are doing and you just cannot put your mind at peace, so maybe that was what was going on with me, my internal turmoil and all the issues I was fighting on my own, were just not letting me realize what I was reading, and were not letting me even have the basic energy to pick up a book and open it. I am kind of out of that slump now.

I am back to reading. For good. And even though I have not been able to get back to that pace of reading as I am generally used to, the year is coming to an end and I know I will get back there again soon.

I did read some more books this year by some of favorite authors, such as J K Rowling (only the grown up books that she writes and not the Harry Potter series), Donna Tart and some more. I also came across some very interesting new authors, not new maybe but my first reads with them. I also read some more in a few of the series that I had started to read earlier. I read a lot and I loved what I read.

As the year is reaching towards a new one ahead, I am already looking forward to setting new reading goals and reading a lot of good ones.

How has your reading year been? Do let me know how's it going for you and which books and authors you loved this year!


- Debolina Raja Gupta