Fellow Book Worms :)

My Bookish Friends :)

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

I'm Not A Show Off, I Just Love To Read


Those who know me personally know that I am never ever without a book. No matter where I am, traveling, at home, at work, or even going out to meet friends, I almost always have one or two books with me, depending on the size of my handbag. Of course I also end up holding books in my arms and hugging them to my chest :)

The other day I was standing at my building's gate, waiting to pick up my younger one and of course reading. What else am I supposed to do just standing and waiting???? I know these looks I get from people walking by - what is she doing standing here and reading!? why is she reading!? who is she trying to show off to!? has she totally lost it???

and come on, I don't really give an explanation any more. everyone has the fingers, and I have too, and even if I don't necessarily have to hold up my hand to their face, I can still do it mentally and by sharing a stare down, isn't it? ;)

That said, I was telling my friend how this woman gave me a weird look when I stood reading, as if I was spooking her out with my red-tinted hair, my big tattoos and my reading on the street. And how I had stared back at her and given her a top to bottom lookie...

My friend said that if he didn't know me personally or didn't know any better, he would have thought I am a show-off....

Hmmmm..... that was pretty unsettling. I would have never thought people think like that... As in, someone on their own, reading away to happiness, how is that being a show off?

But yes, I do get it that not everyone likes to read, and may find it weird when someone seems to be engrossed in books all the time....

Well, just too bad for them then. I'm happy in my own sweet bookish world, the lesser real people the better for me.

And while at it, let me show off a bit by saying how well I am doing on my Goodreads challenge for 2017...am already about 6 books done for my 100 books reading challenge for the year :)

So yayayayayayaaaayyyyyy ;)

- Debolina Raja